This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
One of the Christmas crafts I decided to make this year is actually a combination of two crafts from previous years. A couple years ago I was making little yarn hat ornaments and last year I was doing some creative gift wrapping with yarn pom poms. This year I discovered that if I combined my tiny yarn hats and my homemade yarn pom poms, I could create cute DIY pom pom gnomes!
How To Make Gnomes Out of Toilet Paper Rolls and Yarn
One of the things I loved about this craft was that it used frugal craft supplies I already had on hand, one of which was nothing more than an empty cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper! I could also use leftover yarn from my knitting stash, and a few leftover wooden beads from my jewelry making. Here are the steps for making a DIY pom pom gnome, and a video showing the process is at the end of this post too.
To begin making a pom pom gnome ornament, I always start with the hat, so these first instructions will be for how to make a little yarn hat and the foundation of the hat is just a piece cut from an empty cardboard toilet paper tube!
Making the Gnome hat: To start making the pom pom gnome’s hat, I begin by cutting a 1/2″ piece from the toilet paper roll (which is slightly smaller than the original yarn hats I made).
Next I cut 40 pieces of yarn to a 12″ length. My super fast way to do this is to wrap yarn around a 12″ ruler 20 times, and then cut the looped yarn at both ends of the ruler.
The yarn pieces are then attached to the toilet paper tube ring with a very simple knot. To make the knot, fold the strand of yarn in half. Put the folded end through the cardboard ring. Then bring the two ends over top the of cardboard ring, through the looped end, and pull tight.
Repeat this until the cardboard ring is completely covered. Sometimes I’ll have just a few of the 40 yarn pieces leftover, but most of the time 40 pieces is just right!
To finish the gnome’s hat, push all the yarn ends back through the cardboard tube ring. Once all the ends are pushed through, tie them all together using another small piece of yarn. I like my gnome hats to look just a bit taller so I tie them together about 1.5″ above the ring.
Then I stuff a couple of cotton balls into the hat to help them hold their shape. The last step for making the hat is to trim down the yarn ends at the top to a uniform size (about 1″).
Next make the gnome’s pom pom beard: When it comes to making pom poms, I really love my Clover Pom Pom Makers. They get the job done so efficiently and the result is always a nice looking pom pom. You can also make pom poms by wrapping yarn around a cardboard square, but again, once you use the pom pom makers, there will probably be no going back! For the gnome’s beard you will want a pom pom that’s about a 2″ size (I use the Clover 1.75″ size). You can watch me use the pom pom maker in the video that’s coming up below.
Put the pom pom gnome ornament together: Now it’s time to assemble your gnome. All you need to do is glue the hat to the pom pom (I use a glue gun). Then you’ll finish up by gluing a small wooden bead directly under the brim of the hat for the gnome’s nose. I used a wooden bead that was a 10mm size.
Because the bead was for jewelry making, it had holes in both ends. I glued one of sides with a hole under the brim of the hat, and the remaining hole on the bottom of the bead was not really noticeable in the yarn of the pom pom. However you can also add a dab of hot glue to the bottom of the bead to secure it down if you wish.
You can watch the video below to see all the steps in progress to help you make your own pom pom gnomes too!
Have Fun Making Lots of Pom Pom Gnomes!
Making these little yarn gnomes can be a fun way to use up the leftover yarn you might already have around in your stash and I guarantee you won’t be able to make just one! I particularly liked how my gnomes that had white beards with the variegated tan hats turned out. The yarn used for their hats is some of the leftover yarn from when I made my own slippers.
But then I decided they needed a few more colorful buddies so I made a couple more gnomes with gray beards and green and blue hats.
And then I ended up making one more little gnome that I’m calling my Santa Gnome. That’s because he has a white beard and a red hat with a little white pom pom on the top – just like Santa! To see more info on how I make the pom pom hats, you can visit my original post about making these yarn hat ornaments.
More DIY Christmas Craft Ideas:
- Mini Candy Christmas Trees
- Christmas Mod Podge Plates
- String Christmas Trees
- Simple Baking Soda Clay Ornaments
Yarn Pom Pom Gnomes
- Pom Pom Maker (1.75" size) (Or you can use a 2" square piece of cardboard)
- Cotton Balls (Or a small piece of tissue)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Cardboard toilet paper roll
- Yarn in medium size 4 worsted weight (only a few yards are needed)
- 10mm wooden bead
- Begin by making the gnome's hat. The first step is to cut a 1/2" ring from the end of the empty cardboard toilet paper roll,
- Next cut 40 pieces of yarn to a 12" length. My super fast way to do this is to wrap the yarn around a 12" ruler 20 times, and then cut the looped yarn at both ends of the ruler.
- The yarn pieces are then attached to the toilet paper tube ring with a very simple knot. To make the knot, fold the strand of yarn in half. Put the folded end through the cardboard ring. Then bring the two ends over top the of cardboard ring, through the looped end, and pull tight. Repeat this step, knotting the yarn pieces onto the toilet paper ring, until the ring is completely covered.
- To finish the gnome's hat, push all the yarn ends back through the cardboard tube ring. Once all the ends are pushed through, tie them all together using another small piece of yarn. I like my gnome hats to look just a bit taller so I tie them together about 1.5" above the ring.
- Stuff a couple of cotton balls or a small piece of tissue into the hat to help the hat hold its shape.
- The last step for making the hat is to trim down the yarn ends at the top to a uniform size (about 1").
- Next make the gnome's beard by making a pom pom that's about a 2" size. I like to use the Clover 1.75" pom pom maker. You can also use a piece of cardboard that's about 2" square.
- Glue the yarn hat to the finished pom pom with hot glue.
- Then use a little hot glue to attach the wooden bead directly under the rim of the hat.