This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
One of the signs that Christmas is coming is that all the ordinary candies in the grocery store suddenly get center aisle placement and are all dressed up in their holiday wrappers and colors. As if there wasn’t enough temptation already to eat too many goodies this time of the year!
And while those colorful candies are available, you can put some of them to good use for this quick and fun Christmas craft idea that makes tiny Christmas trees from the miniature Reese’s peanut butter cups and the Hershey’s Kisses that have red, green, and gold wrappers.
To make one of these little trees you start with a miniature Reese’s peanut butter cup with a gold wrapper for the base of the tree. Then you take another peanut butter cup with a green wrapper, turn it upside down and set it on top of the gold one. A Hershey Kiss with a green wrapper is then set on the top to complete the tree. (You can also use the candies with the red wrappers for the two top pieces of the tree).
I found that a hot glue gun worked the best to hold the candies together, and did not melt the chocolate.
Once the mini candy Christmas trees are glued together, it’s time to decorate them! You can use any white glue that dries clear for this step. Take a small paint brush and apply a thin layer of glue all over the two top candy pieces, and then sprinkle some multi-colored decorating sprinkles over them (the type of sprinkles used for decorating cakes or cookies, also sometimes called Nonpariels).
This is an easy Christmas craft that kids can do too, as long as they are of an age that can use a glue gun, and won’t gobble up all the candies at once (umm, do we ever get to that age? lol)
And be warned that you’ll be left with all those Kisses with the silver wrappers that you couldn’t figure out how to use in the craft project and hey, somebody has to eat them 🙂
Check out the other ideas in this series to create mini sized items:
- Mini Knit Stockings
- Mini Yarn Stocking Cap Ornaments
- Mini Layered Hot Chocolate Mix
- Parmesan Bites Appetizer
Mini Candy Christmas Trees
- Hot Glue Gun
- White Craft Glue
- Small Paintbrush
- Holiday Miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- Holiday Hershey's Kisses
- Multi-colored Sprinkles
- For the base of the tree, begin with a miniature Reese's peanut butter cup with a gold wrapper.
- Turn a miniature Reese's peanut butter cup with a green wrapper upside down and using a hot glue gun, glue it to the top of the gold wrapper peanut butter cup. (Use just a small dab of hot glue so as not to melt the candy).
- Next, using the glue gun, glue a Hershey's Kiss with a green wrapper on the top. You will want to rip off the little piece of paper sticking out of the top of the Kiss so it does not show.
- Using any white glue that dries clear (I used Elmer's) and a small paintbrush, apply a thin layer of glue all over the outside of the top two pieces (the green peanut butter cup and the green Kiss). While the glue is still wet ,sprinkle the multi-colored decorating sprinkles over the tree. Set aside to dry.