I love to have quick ideas for homemade food gifts during the holidays. I also like to have some food gift options that aren’t sugar-laden sweets. This recipe works for both those options because it can be put together in just 20 minutes and uses nuts and savory spices.
I always make this recipe with pecan halves and like to use a couple of the 6 oz bags from Aldi. However I think you could also make this recipe with walnuts, mixed nuts, or peanuts. Whatever type of nuts you use, you will need about three cups of nuts altogether.
One more thing I’ve always liked about this recipe for spicy pecans is that they are indeed a little spicy, but they have just the right amount of flavor without being too strong or overpowering. Before the nuts are toasted in the oven, they’re coated in melted butter seasoned with tabasco, worcestshire, garlic powder, and salt. This gives the nuts just the right amount of flavor.
Finally, if you are packaging these nuts in bags for gift giving, remember that the nuts could leave greasy marks on paper bags because of the buttery coating. Some options are to just use plastic baggies tied with ribbon, or put the plastic baggies within a paper bag (if you prefer the look of a paper bags). You can also purchase lined paper bags (like these Kraft Tin Tie Bakery Bags) that are cute for gift giving.
- 4 Tbl Butter (melted)
- 2 tsp Tabasco Sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Salt (I usually use sea salt)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 12 oz Pecan Halves (about 3 cups)
- In a small bowl combine the melted butter with the tabasco, worcestershire, salt, and garlic powder.
- Place the pecan halves in a larger bowl. Pour the butter mixture over the pecans, stirring well to coat all the nuts.
- Spread pecans evenly in a couple of baking sheets. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread on paper toweling to cool.