Homemade Chex snack mix is a favorite snack around our house. Many years ago I started using this recipe because it had instructions for cooking the Chex mix in the microwave, and it’s been a tried and true standby in my recipe box ever since. Sure, it’s convenient to pick up a bag of the ready-made Chex Mix, but it’s also quick and easy to Make Your Own Chex mix!
How To Make Chex Snack Mix in the Microwave
To make my microwave version of chex mix, I start by melting a half cup of butter or margarine (one stick) in the microwave in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl. Once the butter is melted, I add 1-1/4 tsp Lawry salt and 4-1/2 tsp worcestershire and stir it into the melted butter.
Then it’s time to add the dry ingredients. I like to use my large 4-cup measuring cup to measure out the chex cereal. It’s a quick and easy way to get just the right amount of each kind of chex cereal measured out for this recipe (4 cups wheat chex and 4 cups corn or rice chex). I also add 1 cup of pretzels and 1 cup of peanuts.
After each addition of the dry ingredients to the melted butter mixture in the bowl, I always stir things around very well, making sure all the dry ingredients are getting coated with the tasty melted butter mixture.
Once all the dry ingredients have been added to mixing bowl and coated well with the seasoned melted butter, it’s time to pop it into the microwave. I do 5 minutes, (2 minutes, stir, 2 minutes, stir, then 1 more minute).
After it’s been cooked in the microwave, spread it out on some paper toweling to cool. Then every time you walk by, take one or two little bites just to make sure it turned out OK. 🙂
I often make this mix in the summer for vacations or gatherings because it can be cooked in just 5 minutes in the microwave with no need of using the oven on a hot summer day. But I often make this for gifts or for parties during the busy Christmas holiday season too. Once again, the microwave keeps things easy and everybody loves this crunchy and tasty combo of flavors.
At our house, we’ve always called this recipe “Nibble Mix” and it’s a perfect name for this chex mix recipe. You can never have just one bite – you must keep nibbling because it’s so good!
Microwave Chex Nibble Mix
- ½ cup Butter or Margarine (1 stick)
- 1¼ tsp Seasoning Salt (I use Lawry's)
- 4½ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 cups Wheat Chex Cereal
- 4 cups Rice or Corn Chex Cereal
- 1 cup Pretzels
- 1 cup Peanuts
- Place the stick of butter or margarine in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat for about 30 to 45 seconds in the microwave, or until completely melted. Remove from microwave.
- Add the seasoning salt and the worcestershire sauce to the melted butter and stir until combined.
- Add the wheat Chex, corn or rice Chex, pretzels, and peanuts, stirring well after each addition to coat the snack mix with the seasoned butter mixture.
- Microwave the snack mixture for 2 minutes, then stir, another 2 minutes and stir, and then for 1 more final minute (5 minutes total).
- Spread the finished Chex mix out on paper toweling to cool.
- When done cooling, store in a covered container.