A quick and refreshing freezer pie recipe that can be made in many different flavors using the simple ingredients of jello, yogurt, and cool whip.
Sometimes I like my homemade recipes to be quick and easy. Sometimes, especially during the lazy hazy days of summer, it’s nice to have a few quick and simple shortcuts. Sometimes it’s semi-homemade to the rescue!
And that’s how I think of this freezer pie recipe. It’s one of those recipes that can be stirred together in just a few minutes and popped into the freezer, and yet I feel it still qualifies as a homemade pie when I serve it to company. Not only is it a quick recipe, but it’s kind of a fun recipe too because it’s so easy to make different flavor combinations. Here are the ingredients so you can see why:
- 3 oz box of jello – any flavor
- 2 – 6 oz containers of yogurt – in same flavor as jello
- 8 oz container of Cool Whip
- 1/4 cup water
- Prepared graham cracker crust
So the strategy is to pick your jello flavor, and then find the matching yogurt flavor. Some possibilities are:
Strawberry jello + strawberry yogurt
Lime jello + lime yogurt
Peach jello + peach yogurt
Lemon jello + lemon yogurt
You get the idea!
From there, you’ll combine the jello with the 1/4 cup of water and heat it in the microwave for a minute so it will dissolve. Then you stir in the yogurts, whisk in the cool whip, and pour it into your prepared crust. Into the freezer it goes for about an hour, and done!
I’ve made this pie with Truwhip instead of the traditional cool whip for an option without high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils. It’s possible you could make this with my homemade stabilized whipped cream too (although I haven’t personally tried that yet).
So far I’ve used this recipe to make a stawberry version, which received compliments from the folks I served it too. The lime version shown here was also a yummy combo. You’ll probably find the hardest part of this recipe is standing in the grocery store deciding which combo you might like the best!
Pick-Your-Flavor Freezer Pie
- 1 Box Jello (3 oz, any flavor)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 Containers Yogurt (6 oz, in same flavor as jello)
- 1 Container Cool Whip, 8 oz
- 1 Prepared Graham Cracker Crust, 6 oz (Shortbread crust would work too)
- In a microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the jello and the water. Heat in the microwave for one minute, and then stir again.
- Next, stir the two containers of yogurt into the jello.
- Then whisk in the cool whip.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
- Place in the freezer for about an hour or until the mixture is frozen.
- Remove pie from freezer 10 minutes before serving.