Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner

How do you clean your eyeglasses?  With just plain old water?  With window cleaner?  Or maybe you just breath on them to steam them up a bit and then grab the corner of your shirt and start rubbing?   All of these methods will work to some extent, but you can make your life a little easier (and your glasses a whole lot cleaner!) with a bottle of this homemade eyeglass cleaning solution.

I started noticing little tiny spots on my eyeglasses that weren’t coming off with my usual “just run ’em under the faucet” method.  I was baffled for awhile on what the little spots were and then it dawned on me.  It was hairspray!   Little bits of the hairspray mist were settling on my eyeglass lens and were stubbornly staying there through most of my usual cleaning methods.  But this homemade eyeglass cleaner has no problem taking off the stubborn hairspray spots and leaves my eyeglasses shiny clean.

You can buy fancy eyeglass cleaners and pay anywhere from $5 to $20 a bottle.  This homemade solution for cleaning eyeglasses can be made for just pennies and is just as gentle and effective.

Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner

Your mixture will be:

• 1/2 Rubbing Alcohol (70% Isopropyl Alcohol)
  • 1/2 Water
  • With a tiny bit of liquid dish soap

– Fill a small mist bottle halfway with the rubbing alcohol. (I use a 2 oz travel size mist bottle).

– Fill the bottle up the rest of the way with water.

– Then add just a very teeny tiny bit of liquid dish soap.

– Put the spray top back on your mist bottle and gently swirl the mixture around to combine.

To clean your glasses:  Squirt some of the solution onto your eyeglass lens and wipe dry with a soft cloth.  This solution not only works well on the lens, it also does a great job of cleaning the bows and nose pieces that accumulate body oils, dirt and . . . . hairspray!!

Comments

Well I must confess that I keep this eyeglass cleaner in my bathroom and most of the time after I squirt on the cleaner, I simply use the nearby hand towel to dry my glasses off. As I’m washing my towels on a regular basis I’m never using the same cloth for an extended time for this purpose. The towel seems to be soft enough and does not leave lint on my glasses. However if you do have a soft cloth that you like to use, I would think the rubbing alcohol would be helpful in keeping germs from starting, and most cloths for cleaning your glasses should be machine washable.

I have not tried this on my mirrors yet, but I did use it on the inside of my car windows the other day and it worked great! It’s the time of year when the sun is at a really glaring position when I drive to work in the morning and I could see how cloudy my car windows were. I decided to use this cleaner and it did a really good job of cleaning the car windows without leaving any streaking. That makes me think it would probably work well for mirrors too.

After doing some research, I believe this should be safe on lens with anti-reflective coatings. If you wanted to be a little more cautious, however, instead of doing a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water you could use less alcohol and more water (perhaps a 30/70 ratio of alcohol to water). Or you could just use water and use a few more drops of soap for an alcohol free mixture, but the rubbing alcohol is really what makes this eyeglass cleaner work well.

1. Rita Montague says

Does this work for antireflective coatings? I remember using straight alcohol on one pair as a friend said it worked great. It fogged up my lenses. So, I am a little skittish.

Rita – I was posting the answer above when your comment came through wondering about the same issue. The alcohol is what makes this mixture work well, but if you are worried about the anti-reflective coatings, you can leave the alcohol out and use a little more soap instead, or you can try using less alcohol.

• Rita Montague says

Thanks, Beverly. I will probably leave the alcohol out as my glasses cost almost $400.00! Also, I have it checked to be notified when I get a response by email, but I never got one. Is that part working okay?

Thanks.