How do you clean your eyeglasses? With just plain old water? With window cleaner? Or maybe you just breath on them to steam them up a bit and then grab the corner of your shirt and start rubbing? All of these methods will work to some extent, but you can make your life a little easier (and your glasses a whole lot cleaner!) with a bottle of this homemade eyeglass cleaning solution.
I started noticing little tiny spots on my eyeglasses that weren’t coming off with my usual “just run ’em under the faucet” method. I was baffled for awhile on what the little spots were and then it dawned on me. It was hairspray! Little bits of the hairspray mist were settling on my eyeglass lens and were stubbornly staying there through most of my usual cleaning methods. But this homemade eyeglass cleaner has no problem taking off the stubborn hairspray spots and leaves my eyeglasses shiny clean.
You can buy fancy eyeglass cleaners and pay anywhere from $5 to $20 a bottle. This homemade solution for cleaning eyeglasses can be made for just pennies and is just as gentle and effective.
Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner
Your mixture will be:
- 1/2 Rubbing Alcohol (70% Isopropyl Alcohol)
- 1/2 Water
- With a tiny bit of liquid dish soap
– Fill a small mist bottle halfway with the rubbing alcohol. (I use a 2 oz travel size mist bottle).
– Fill the bottle up the rest of the way with water.
– Then add just a very teeny tiny bit of liquid dish soap.
– Put the spray top back on your mist bottle and gently swirl the mixture around to combine.
To clean your glasses: Squirt some of the solution onto your eyeglass lens and wipe dry with a soft cloth. This solution not only works well on the lens, it also does a great job of cleaning the bows and nose pieces that accumulate body oils, dirt and . . . . hairspray!!