How To Make Your Own Foaming Dish Soap and Hand Soap

If you like the foaming dish soaps and hand soaps, you’ll be happy to know it’s easy to Make Your Own.  What’s the secret?

The dispenser . . . . it’s all about the dispenser.

Once you have a foaming dispenser, all you do is dilute some liquid soap with water.  If you’ve already bought some foaming soap, take a look and you’ll see that the soap inside the bottle is not a thick consistency – it’s quite watery.

make your own foaming dish soap

When making your own foaming soap you can either buy a foaming soap dispenser or you can save an empty one from a foaming soap you’ve purchased.  I saved my empty foaming dish soap container (The Dawn Direct Foam bottle pictured here).

After reading lots of tips and comments by other people using this method, I came to the conclusion that most folks found that careful measuring isn’t necessary.  The basic method is just to put a little bit of soap in the bottom of the dispenser and then fill it up the rest of the way with water.  Some suggestions were a  30/70 mix , a 40/60 mix, or 1 part soap to 5 parts water.  BUT, many also said they just eyeballed it so that was good enough for me.  I find that filling my bottle about 1/4 full of soap (as pictured below) and then filling it up the rest of the way with water works well.

make your own foaming dish soap

You can also use a wide variety of soap products including shampoo, body wash, liquid hand soaps or liquid dish soaps.  Stay away from the creamy soaps, however, as they have moisturizers than can clog the foaming dispensers.

Here’s how to do it:

HOMEMADE FOAMING DISH SOAP OR HAND SOAP

You will need:

Foaming Soap Dispenser (buy one new or save one from purchased foaming soap)

Liquid Soap (you can use shampoo, body wash, dish soap, or hand soap)

Water

1.  Rinse out your foaming soap container if using one from a prior purchase.

2.  Put a little bit of liquid soap in the bottom of the container.  (I used Joy Dish Soap)

3.  Fill the rest of the container up slowly with water.

4.   Screw the top back on the container and slowly tip back and forth to mix.  Do not shake or it will get too bubbly.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I find that when you make hand soap, you don't need nearly as much soap as when making dish soap. For foaming hand soap, I just use 2 tbsp. of regular hand soap to 1 cup of warm water. Put it in a foaming dispenser of course!

I'm finding out too that for dishes, you need a little heavier mix. That way you can wash two or three plates, pans, or whatever, before you need another squirt on your scrubbie.

One tip I maight add would be to pour the water in first and then add the soap. This is so that the soap doesn't bubble up and spill over. Otherwise, I do the exact same thing for all of our soaps. I'm actually thinking about making liquid hand soap and then diluting it down for our bathroom pumps. Thanks for all your tips!!

I made my own homemade liquid soap, the real stuff, and sold it in pump bottles and foamer bottles. Didn't know that it should be thinned way down. Later looked at some in the store and realized it was almost water thin. :) So my customers got lots of soap for the money in a bottle that didn't work well at all. Live and learn!!.

So true! The stuff in the foaming bottles is a water thin consistency. If you use too thick of a soap you probably won't get the best performance from a foaming dispenser.

Glad to see it shared!!!

I've been doing this since the foaming dish dispensers came out! Just started with the hand-soap one. Save so much $$$ since, for some reason, they charge more for the watered-down versions! I just buy dollar store dish soap and hand soap to refill.Glad to see it shared!!!

10. Megan says

There’s a Pintrest project that spray paints the old Dawn foaming dispenser & then adds a monogram, or other graphic, to the front. Super cute & much classier than the original look :-)

11. Charlene says

I’ve been making my own foam soap for some time now and love it. :) I have since then started making every house hold cleaners as well as laundry soap and my fabric softener and sheets. I will never purchase another item from the store I don’t even purchase them if I need the containers. If that is the case I ask friends and family members to save me their container when they are done with it. Works Like A Charm!

12. jim says

No where in here does it tell you what the mixture ratio is. I find that 1 part liquid soap, preferably dawn or joy work really well to 3 to 4 parts of water makes really good hand soap. For dish washing soap, use about 2 parts of liquid soap to 3 or 4 parts of water.

13. Paula May says

Been buying dawn direct and foaming hand soap for YEARS! Not any more! I’ll be making my own! I love Palmolive though! I’ll be using that!