As some of you may know, I’m in the process of making my own vanilla extract. This was something new for me, so I’ve been posting as I go along. I’m trying out a recipe of two sliced vanilla beans and 3/4 cup of vodka that is supposed to set for 3 to 4 weeks. I’m now at the four week mark and its looking good! My batch has a nice brown color and a rich vanilla aroma. I decided to call this first batch complete.
I used it in a recipe for the first time this weekend (in the granola bars I baked) and everything tasted just as it should I guess it’s good that I could not taste anything noticeably different, although I was hoping just a little bit that they would taste sooo much better. Maybe my taste buds are just not that discerning.
BUT – To make this a cost saver, I’m really hoping to get another batch out of the same vanilla beans. My two vanilla beans cost $8.99 so the more mileage I can get out of them the happier I’ll be. I’ve saved my beans in a different jar and when my current batch of extract is getting low, I’m going to start brewing another. If another batch or two can be brewed out of the same vanilla beans, then I’ll consider the experiment a success!
Here’s the links to the previous posts if you’d like to read more: