The Vanilla Extract Experiment – First Follow Up

DIY Baking Hacks

A week ago I began my first try at making homemade vanilla extract. After debating on which of two recipes to use, I decided on the smaller recipe that used only one Vanilla Bean and 1/4 cup of vodka.  Here’s the link to the original post:  The Vanilla Extract Experiment

I’ve since decided I should have used the larger recipe. There wasn’t enough vodka to cover the vanilla bean and that seemed like an important part of the process.

So today I added the other vanilla bean (after slicing it open lengthwise and then cutting it into a few smaller pieces) and added another 1/2 cup of vodka. I am now on target to make the recipe that called for a total of two beans and a total of 3/4 cup of vodka.

The color is getting darker so that seems like a good sign that the vodka is being infused with the flavor of the vanilla bean. It’s also taking on a nice aroma. I think this is going to work! A few more weeks and then the true test will be using it in a recipe.

You might also like to read:
The Vanilla Extract Experiment – Second Follow Up

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *