If you like the idea of natural cleaners, you don’t have to look any farther than your kitchen cupboard for ways to make your own. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the good job of cleaning you can do using some of the same ingredients you might use to bake a pie! A perfect example is this quick and simple Cinnamon Sink Scrub Cleaner that uses just three common pantry items.
The main ingredient in this homemade scrub is baking soda which is a great natural option that has just a bit of gentle abrasiveness. To the baking soda I also add a bit of salt for some additional scrubbing power. Then the next fun little twist is to add a couple teaspoons of ground cinnamon for a nice pleasant scent as you scrub. The cinnamon is a great frugal option that can take the place of pricier essential oils.
You may notice when you sprinkle this scrub around, that as soon as it gets wet it will be darker brown, and that’s because of the ground cinnamon in the mixture. At first you may think that you are making your sink dirtier! However once you start scrubbing it around you won’t even notice anymore, and it rinses away just fine too. And I’ve really come to enjoy the smell of the cinnamon as it’s something a little different than the usual peppermint or lavender I tend to use in my homemade cleaners.
I keep the cheapskate vibe going by always keeping my Cinnamon Sink Scrub in a recycled container too. I’ve found that the spice containers from Aldi (that are about 5½” tall as shown in the background of the picture below) are the perfect size for this mixture and their lids with holes are just right for sprinkling some of the scrub around too.
So this is definitely a homemade cleaner that anyone can make and I love that all the ingredients are familiar items that are easy to find in the stores too. It’s the ideal handy mixture to keep under the sink for when you need to give the sink a little scrubbing and quick cleanup after a meal. It’s gentle on your hands, gentle on your nose, and gentle on your wallet too!
Here’s the complete recipe:
Natural DIY Cinnamon Sink Scrub
- 3/4 cup Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Salt (regular table salt works fine)
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Stir all three ingredients together until they are well mixed.
- Store your mixture in a covered container. A recycled container from parmesan cheese or a recycled spice jar works very well as these type of containers also have lids with holes in them.
- To use: Sprinkle some of the scrubbing powder around the sink. Scrub with a wet sponge or other type of scrubber, and then rinse away with water.
- 10 Cleaners To Stop Buying and Start Making
- How To Stretch Your Liquid Dish Soap
- Homemade Lemon Soft Scrub Cleaner