Clean A Smooth Stovetop the Frugal Way

I have really grown to love my stove with the smooth glass stovetop.  I know not everybody is a fan and many people prefer gas ranges, but I really like having a smooth surface for cleaning up after cooking spills because let’s face it, spills happen.

When it’s time to clean my stovetop, I usually use my homemade soft scrub cleaner, but I’ve also used this easy and frugal method that has worked very well too.  All you need is baking soda, some soapy water and a clean dish towel or other large cleaning rag.

Here’s how to do it:

1.  Fill your kitchen sink with warm soapy water.   Put your dish towel in the soapy water and get it thoroughly wet.

2.  Sprinkle some baking soda on your stovetop.  If there is a particularly dirty area, make sure there is a good amount of baking soda in that area.

3.  Take your dish towel out of the soapy water and wring it out a little bit (the towel should be thoroughly wet with the soapy water, but not dripping wet). Lay the wet towel on your stovetop over the baking soda.

4.  Let everything sit for at least 15 minutes.

5.  When the 15 minutes is up, use the towel to wipe and clean the stovetop.  After a little bit of wiping and cleaning, you may want to rinse the towel with some fresh water to help rinse away the baking soda.

6.  Use a dry towel or rag to dry off the stovetop.  If you come back and see any cloudy areas from baking soda that did not get thoroughly rinsed off, you can give it a little spritz of window cleaner.  I use my club soda glass cleaner for this and it works great!

Even though this method requires 15 minutes of soaking, it still is pretty fast and easy because it requires no measuring or mixing of ingredients and most of us always have baking soda and dish soap in the house.

Comments

I can very much understand wanting to be cautious when you have a nice new stove. However I have not seen any scratching on my stove using this method.

• says

Me too!! I do it all the time. I don’t like that cleaner that came with my smooth top stove, I don’t like chemicals in my kitchen. I make my own cleaners .

1. Dara Shelton says

I use a towel immersed in hot vinegar and partially wrung out. Sprinkle baking soda on cook top and lay cloth on top. It will foam up. Let it sit for about 10 min.

2. Emily says

Can you tell me how to clean the set-in grease spots off the BACK of a stove (we have a traditional electric) — the plastic part that has the clock and temp dials on it. Its black and I am afraid of scratching it (I did that once with a scrubbie on my old white stove).

Thanks!

I’ve always used this method, but I spritz the stove top with water first, then sprinkle baking soda over that. I wait about 30 minutes and then wipe thoroughly with a sponge. When I feel that it’s clean, then I rinse the sponge and continue this until all the soda is gone and I wipe it finally with clean water and a dry towel. If a film is left behind, I use Windex and paper towel. It really does leave your stove top looking brand new! and ..NO SCRATCHES!

I don’t know about using the greased lightning on my stovetop controls. I used it on my husbands truck to get the bugs off and when I wiped it, the paint was all over my cloth. I’m afraid it would take all the writing off your control panel.

5. beth says

Baking soda and peroxide works great. Sprinkle on the baking soda add peroxide and make a paste, leave it sit for about 10 minutes lightly scrub them wipe away the mess.

6. Joyce Wilson says

An additional comment…..Once my stovetop is clean, I spray it with rubbing alcohol and polish it. I do this with all of my SS appliances and they sparkle.

7. Susan says

I leave an old plastic spice jar with the shaker top full of fine baking soda near the kitchen sink. it’s great for cleaning the stove – works while you’re washing the dishes – and cleans out porcelain tea mugs pearly white… stains on countertops, teeth too, freshens up the laundry, softens your bath… so much

I use mixture of vinegar and water and wipe the stove down and it works great my flat stove top looks awesome and I use the vinegar and water in a spray bottle on almost everything when I get out of the shower I spray it down and wipe with a clean dry rag and the faucets and wipe my shower curtain down its best thing ever.

9. Vicky says

It really works. baking soda, warm soapy towel and 15 minutes. We always have spills some were set and it almost like new. I had been using Mr. Clean erasers and it is a lot of elbow grease but works. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will be buying baking soda when on sale to keep it on hand.

10. Carla says

I’ve personally used the soaked towel method before and it works great.

But as an added note, the commercial glass top stove cleaners are much more abrasive than baking soda and so are straight edge blades, both were given to me with both of my new glass top stoves and neither have caused any damage other then a beautiful shiny clean surface. I only went the baking soda method to save money. Both are equally save for the stove top.

11. Dorothy says

I have done something similar by using DAWN Pump foam soap which I applied all over the top, then covered with a wet dish rag, and after 15 minutes, the crust vanished instantly. Need to try the baking soda to compare the two methods. Thank you very much.

12. linda says

Baking soda has never scratched anything of mine, have no idea where the one commenter got that. It’s just abrasive enough to clean, but not to scratch. Also, the majic cloths, miracle cloths, whatever the brand name is, are wonderful for drying your stove top after cleaning and leave no smearing. Also, if no time for the baking soda and wet tea towel, Bar Keeper’s Friend is a great cleaning agent that doesn’t scratch. It’s usually found in the cleaning dept. of stores along with detergents, Comet, etc. It’s been around a longgg time.

• Amanda says

I done the same thing and accidentally melted a plastic plate to mine. To clean it easily without scratching glass I turned the stove top on and reheated the plastic that was on the stove top once it was all melted I turned it off and used a big wad of paper towel that was slightly damp to quickly clean all the melted plastic off, have a bag ready to place paper towel in as it can be a little messy, cover any bench top near where your working as it could be harder to get off your benches then the stove itself.

• patty says

place a paper bag over the plastic area and take your iron and heat it up and iron over the the paper bag which will melt the plastic onto the paper bag for an easy clean up.Repeat until all the plastic is gone using different paper bags as needed.

13. Dorian Brann says

My mom has used the soft scrub and window cleaner method for years her cooktop is over 10yrs and looks brand new

14. dan says

These newer models of glass top stoves don’t scratch very easily. In fact, I’ve never seen anything that will scratch them. After all, you drag your steel pots across them and they don’t scratch. The best cleaner I’ve found is Barkeepers Friend. It WILL NOT scratch. http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/ Read it for yourself.
    Make a paste with water and BKF and scrub away. The worst deposits come right up. Rinse with a damp dish towel and it gleams like a mirror.

I tried this and it works wonders. It is the greatest way to clean my smooth top stove. It is less abrasive than the stuff I was told to use. I was also told by the place I bought my stove to use a razor like you clean paint off of windows just be careful and use the right angle. This is used to clean something that is hard cooked on.

16. Ivan says

I wetsand the top with 2,000 grit wet/dry paper, then buff with 3M Perfect-it II Machine Polish and Swirl Mark Remover 3M# MMM39062
    Using my 2″ air buffer…
    Been doing that 3-4 times a year for 5yrs… and the top still looks like brand new.

Cost: $24.00/qt and I’ve used maybe 1/10th of the first bottle.. and maybe $2 bucks worth of sandpaper (each time I’ve only used 1/4 of 1 sheet… comes 10 sheets to a pack.
    (I’m still using the same buffing pad I bought at Harbor Freight for $2.. it’s washable and reusable)
    So my method is WAY cheaper than buying baking soda :)

Trackbacks