I’ve gotten in the habit of keeping epsom salt around the house because I use it in my favorite homemade laundry soap recipe. But I was reminded again the other day as I was looking at some of the info on my bag of epsom salts, that it can be used for other things too, one of which is a soaking aid. It’s a way to make your own mineral spring spa!
Well that sounds good but when it comes to soaking in a tub, I don’t know about you but I’ve got to have some bubbles in there too – – and this epsom salt bubble bath recipe turned out to be an easy way to not only have some soaking salts, but to have my bubbles with it too.
How To Make Bubble Bath Salts
So if you want some bubbles in your bath, who can you turn too? Mr. Bubble of course! Yup, some Mr. Bubble bubble bath is my helpful secret ingredient that I add to epsom salts so that we can make our own bubbling bath salts.
To make my DIY bath salts I mixed 2 cups of Epsom Salt with 1/4 cup of the bubble bath. I suggest using the Extra Gentle Mr. Bubble (I was able to find mine at Target) which is a clear fragrance-free liquid so you can add your own scents and colorings if you wish. I chose to add in a few drops of spearmint essential oil and a drop of green food coloring to make a pretty minty version.
After everything is mixed together, you need to spread it out on a baking sheet lined with a couple layers of waxed paper and let it dry out a bit for 24 hours. The mixture will be quite soupy when you first spread it out.
However the next day when you stir it, it will be more crystallized. You can then store your bath salts in a pretty jar (this recipe fits nicely in a pint mason jar), and you’re all set!
These bubbling bath salts are a nice way to pamper yourself, but they would make a lovely homemade gift too. And once again, when you make your own there’s room for creativity so feel free to try different essential oils and colors, or you can skip them completely for a more basic version.
Here’s the complete printable recipe:
Homemade Bubble Bath Salts
- 2 cups Epsom Salts
- 1/4 cup Bubble Bath (I use Mr. Bubble Extra Gentle)
- 5 drops Spearmint Essential Oil (or peppermint)
- 1 drop Green Food Coloring
- Mix together the 2 cups of epsom salt and the bubble bath in a mixing bowl.
- Then stir in the essential oil and the food coloring. The mixture will be quite soupy.
- Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet that's been lined with a couple layers of wax paper. Let the mixture set for 24 hours to dry.
- After the 24 hours, stir the mixture which should now be more crystallized. The mixture can then be stored in a jar. This recipe fits nicely in a pint mason jar.
- To use, add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of your bath salts to a tub of warm water.
- Quick & Easy Semi-Homemade Lotion
- Make Your Own Rosewater Glycerin Moisturizing Spray
- DIY Brown Sugar Body Scrub