My Favorite Knit Dishcloth

The humble homemade knit dishcloth is a favorite in many households, including mine.  They last a long time, wash up well, they’re sturdy for cleaning up.  Plus, it’s one of those fast little knitting projects that gives you the quick satisfaction of seeing your finished project.  I can often knit one up in an evening, provided I sit my butt down on the couch soon enough after dinner.

dishcloth

So for all the knitters out there, I thought I would share my favorite dishcloth pattern.  This is the basic “knit on the diagonal” pattern that’s been around for years.  I like it because it doesn’t take a whole lot of thinking or keeping track of a complex pattern stitch.  It’s a fun and relaxing way to Make Your Own dishcloths.

MY FAVORITE KNIT DISHCLOTH

Print This Pattern

You Will Need:

• 1 Ball Cotton Yarn (Sugar & Cream brand)

• Size 10 Knitting needles

Cast on 4 stitches

Knit 2 rows even

Next Row:  Knit 2, Yarn Over, Knit across to end

Repeat this row until you have 47 stitches

Next Row:  Knit 1, Knit 2 together, Yarn Over, Knit 2 together, Knit across to end

Repeat this row until you have 4 stitches left

Knit 2 rows even

Bind Off

My Favorite Knit Dishcloth

My one frustration is that after making the dishcloth, there’s not quite enough yarn left in the ball to make another one, and so I have a nice little collection of remainder balls that I need to get busy and find a way to use up.

If you like easy knitting crafts like this dishcloth, you might like to check out my free pattern for newborn knit hats.  They knit up fast and they’re fun to make too!

Comments

I have always wanted to learn how to knit and crochet, but no matter how many times someone shows me how to do it, it is gone from my head within 5 minutes. I just can't get the hang of it.

Yeah, if you're not a knitter the directions can seem pretty weird and complicated. What's funny is I thought I was being super helpful by spelling everything out (instead of the traditional K2, YO, kind of abbreviations). It seems like there's no in between . . . either you love to knit, or it's just baffling. :)

3. Anonymous says

I started crocheting when I was four. Twentysome years later, I tried to get my MIL to teach me how to knit. Then my aunt. I could NOT figure it out. Then I bought a book and the lightbulb finally went on over my head. I'm still a little confused on abbreviations-my brain keeps trying to translate them to crochet-, so I love your pattern! It's the first knit pattern I made and it came out beautifully! Thanks!

4. Anonymous says

I have made all different kinds of dishcloths, both knitted and crocheted. Some look nicer but this pattern WORKS THE BEST as a dishcloth.

5. Anonymous says

My pattern for that dishcloth is not quite like yours. I cast on three stitches. I knit two yarn over knit one do this every row until you have 42 stitches if your yarn is varigated, if one color you can go to 43 sts. When you have your desired aboout on you knit one knit two together yarn over knit two together. Continue until you have 5 stitches then knit two together twice knit one, then bind off the three stitches.

6. Anonymous says

I have been looking for a free simple pattern to use to help my sister in law which would also work for my nieces who are 14 and 6. I thought I might write one up, but surely there was something basic already out there. Thanks for posting, this will be perfect for the holiday get together!

So glad you found the pattern helpful! I think it will be easy for beginners to make this dishcloth too. A good basic pattern like this is so nice to have around.

8. Anonymous says

Thanks soo much for this pattern!!! I have a dishcloth like this and am no longer able to get more from the lady who made it for me, so, believe it or not, I learned this weekend on YouTube how to knit, and this is my Very First project I have done!!!!! (and truely, until this weekend I had never picked up a set of knitting needles before)

9. Anonymous says

Oh my GOSH! I had an old copy of this pattern that someone gave me and I lost it over the years. My poor dish cloths are ratty. Now I can sprint to the store today, buy some fabulous cotton yarn and make more! Thank you so much for posting this! It is absolutely the best!!!!!

Thanks for such a simple but fun to make washcloth!!!!! I'm a beginner knitter and I've been getting pretty bored with what i've been working on, this one is fun because you make it from corner to corner. Neat!

11. Anonymous says

I made one in a slightly different pattern out of the same color of Sugar and Cream and it too is my favorite! Thanks for posting.

I've been making these a long time. I'm kind of a tight knitter and usually can get two out of a ball of Sugar 'n Cream, if you use plain colors, which have a bit more yardage than the stripey colorways. I have also just added in a block of color in the middle to use up odds and ends – or make a “crazy dishcloth” – a la the crazy quilt – a new color every other row or so.
    Sally

Thanks for the pattern!

I found this pattern for a scrubber to use up the leftovers and it gets pretty close. http://tankhouse.knitability.com/freepatterns/DishClothDuo.pdf. With the cloth that I just finished I went to 50 stitches, then made a scrubber and there's just a little yarn left. I could maybe get another scrubber out of it. When I made the cloth per your instructions I got a scrubber and a “coaster” which was your pattern with one stitch for the edge and I went up to 25 stitches on size 3 needles. I thought a hodge-podge collection of knit coasters would be kind of fun and I'd have a sample of all the cloths I made, since I keep giving them away!

14. Marcia says

Last month I started learning basic knitting, following some great online videos and a good book. I've been knitting dish cloths to practice a variety of stitches and patterns, with the added benefit that I'm building a cache of gifts for friends. So far, your favorite dish cloth pattern is also mine. It's quick and easy, fun (this was my first corner-to-corner pattern), pretty (with the lace-like border), and, as someone else mentioned, it has just the right texture and stretch for a really good dish cloth. Thank you! — Marcia

15. Anonymous says

When I make this I only knit to 41 stitches and then start the decrease. I can get another dish cloth from the ball. If I use the 47 stitches I make a smaller dishcloth and love the small ones.

16. Anonymous says

Hi Bev. This is also my favourite. You can use the leftover skein to make coasters. Do the same pattern but only with a total of 26 sts. I thread thru the edging holes with coloured yarn and make a bow at the joining section to pretty them up. I've made 100's of them as gifts and everyone loves them. :) Happy Knitting from luvs2cook :)

17. Anonymous says

oopsie…in my last comment I meant to say “coloured ribbon” not coloured yarn, although I think that might work too…lol.

18. Anonymous says

Regarding that “little bit of yarn left over” from making a washcloth. I crochet mine into a flat circular trivet . These are great places to set hot cookie sheets, pots and frying pans while your cooking. Easy to store and they match my dishcloths!

19. Anonymous says

Thank you soooo much for this pattern. The finished one you show looks like the one my Mother always made. She passed away last summer with one on the needles. I couldn't find any directions. Now I can finish it and do more for all the kids and grandkids. We all have them, thanks to Mom, though they are a bit worn now. Thanks to you we can all get new ones and remember Mom/Nana at the same time.. 😉

Oh I am so glad I could provide that pattern for you. Now you can carry on with knitting dishcloths and have the happy memory of your Mom too. Blessings to you!

23. Sandy Laster says

just a thought about your leftover yarn…..I make coasters. I am a crocheter and also love the dishcloth and use the “seed” stitch.

24. Dayna says

I use the scraps to make the same kind of dishcloth. when the scrap runs out, I tie a new color to it. It doesn’t matter if they are “pretty”. They function the same way.

25. Nancy says

This is the dishcloth my Mom used for years. She left two unfinished when she passed away two years ago. I finally finished them last month and have made several more using this pattern. Love it! Her grandchildren will still be getting them :-) I wish your link for the scrubber wasn’t a broken link… (http://tankhouse.knitability.com/freepatterns/DishClothDuo.pdf) Do you still have the scrubber pattern? Would love to do that as well for extras :-) Thank you!

26. Nancy says

Ran out and got some Sugar ‘n’ Cream today to try the scrubber and to do many more dishcloths :-) Again, Thanks!