Homemade Stain Remover – Another Success Story

I love a challenge.  And this week I had another challenge thanks to Hungry Son.

He came to me with one of his sweaters (a sweater with wool in it that needs handwashing by the way).

“Ummm, Mom, do you think you can get this spot out of my sweater?  It’s been on here for awhile.  And oh yeah, I think it’s wine.”

OK, so let’s take stock of the situation:

Hand wash wool sweater + it sat for awhile + he thinks its wine

Sure . . . no problemo!   I’ll just wave my magic wand!

homemade stain remover

But guess what?  I whipped up a little batch of my homemade stain remover and it totally worked!   Even in spite of the triple threat of wool + old stain + wine.

homemade stain remover

( To read my previous post on homemade stain remover click here = = >> Homemade Stain Removers )

If you’ve got a stubborn stain lurking about, you’ll want to give this homemade stain remover a try.  It can do some pretty amazing things.

Homemade Stain Remover

You Will Need:

• 1 Tablespoon Dawn Dish Soap

• 2 Tablespoons Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)

Measure out the tablespoon of Dawn Dish Soap and put it in a small bowl.  Add the 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and stir it into the Dawn soap.

Then spoon some of the mixture onto your stain.  I usually just use the back of my spoon to rub the solution into the material a little bit.  You can also use a small brush for this.

NOW COMES THE IMPORTANT PART ~ ~ Let everything sit for several hours.   Be very patient!

I have had the best success with this stain remover when I let it set on a stain for at least 3 or 4 hours.  I let the stain remover sit on the wine stained sweater all afternoon.

After you have been very, very patient, wash the item as usual.

homemade stain remover

Here’s another nice thing about this recipe.  You can make any size batch you like.  Just remember – it’s one part Dawn dish soap to two parts hydrogen peroxide.

Comments

I will try your solution. Will this work on grease stains? Any idea how to get adhesive off of cotton. I was wearing a name tag and seems like the adhesive all came off on my blouse. Suggestions?

Jeanne – this mixture works pretty well on oily stains. The important part is to let this stain remover sit on the stain for several hours. You can reapply some more of the stain remover during that time too. Straight dawn dish soap also works well on greasy stains and might also work well on the adhesive on your cotton blouse. Of course if a stain has already gone through the washer and dryer, then it will be much more challenging.

2. G. Solomon says

I’m ready to give this a try with blood stains but was wondering …

There is quite a bit of dish soap in the mixture so are you supposed to rinse the item out in the sink before throwing it in the washing machine?

I’m worried about some crazy foam-monster appearing. If no rinse is required then should I use the same amount of laundry detergent for the load?

I’ve never rinsed out the item before washing and have never had a problem – or foam monster :) That being said, I think you COULD rinse it, and that would be fine too.

3. Debra says

Think this will work on a really really old carpet stain? Have tried commercial & homemade products to no avail. Have a rug thrown over it to hide but can’t hide forever from hubby:(

The challenging part of using this on a carpet stain is rinsing it out of the carpet again. When you use this mixture on a piece of clothing, you can toss it in the washing machine after it has soaked. However with carpet, you have to somehow rinse it out as best you can with wet towels or something. So it might be worth a try, but you may have to get a little more creative with cleaning the solution back off the carpet when you’re done letting it soak on the stain.

4. Alicia says

My husband works hard in his clothes, it will have a sweat smell in the clothes and under the arm in the shirts. Will this work for me?

I think a better solution for getting out a sweat smell would be to use borax. To spot treat an area on clothing(for instance the arm pit area), get it wet with warm water, sprinkle on some borax and rub it in, and then let it set for about 30 minutes, and then wash as usual. I also notice that my homemade powdered laundry soap seems to do a good job of getting odors out of clothing too.

5. shirley says

I have pet stains on carpet that I clean with vinegar and water. They seem to go back and re stain them. Is there anything we can use to eliminate the odor so they will not restain the carpet?

I think you could make a larger batch but I would recommend you keep it in some kind of dark bottle as peroxide can slowly break down and lose its potency in the light (which is why it is always sold in those dark brown bottles). I also think it would work in a spray bottle.

6. Jan says

wondering how this would work on a shirt with permanent marker. it has already been through the washer, and I have used several things to try and get it out. it is my son’s fire fighter shirt.

Permanent marker is a tough stain! You might have better luck with rubbing alcohol on an ink stain than with this mixture.

7. Col T. says

For larger red wine stains I use ¼ cup H₂O₂ to 1/8th cup green dish soap emulsifier like Dawn to 2-3 cups hot H₂O … then immerse item or in case of carpet, sponge solution liberally over stain area in blotting/soaking maneuver … let it sit … Bev’s right … patience is a virtue … let it “rest” Kimosabe … on carpet, I use a Hoover carpet cleaner hand wand to rinse and extract soapy compound from area after waiting at least 4 hours. I had a whole bottle of red wine spill on a camel floor mat from car … I let the floormat soak overnight in a bucket of the mixture and the next morning the wine stain was gone … it works.

8. Leah H. says

what about coffee stains? they are a day old and it got wet so i only noticed the stain after I got it out of the drier..

Once a stain has gone through the dryer, it gets much more challenging. It would certainly be worth trying the homemade stain remover, just be sure to let it set for several hours before washing again.