Homemade Chex mix is a favorite snack around our house. Many years ago I started using this recipe because it had instructions for cooking the Chex mix in the microwave, and it has been a tried and true standby in my recipe box ever since. Sure, it’s convenient to pick up a bag of the ready-made Chex Mix, but it’s also quick and easy to Make Your Own!
This recipe is very forgiving. If you add a little more or less seasoning, it’s OK. And if you add a little more or less of one of the snack ingredients, it almost always still comes out fine. I use my 4-cup measuring cup and just fill it up with Chex cereal without measuring too closely. I always use the same bowl for stirring together this recipe too and judge it more by how full the bowl is than by the exact measurement of the snack ingredients going in.
I love this snack mix in the summer time because I don’t need to heat up my oven. All it takes is six minutes in the microwave and you’re done.
MICROWAVE CHEX MIX
- 1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
- 1-1/4 tsp seasoning salt (like Lawry’s)
- 4-1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups wheat Chex cereal
- 4 cups rice or corn Chex cereal
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup peanuts
1. Place the stick of margarine in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat for about 25 seconds in the microwave, or until the stick of margarine is completely melted. Remove from microwave.
2. Add the seasoning salt and the worcestershire sauce to the melted margarine and stir until combined.
3. Add the wheat Chex, corn or rice Chex, pretzels, and peanuts, stirring well after each addition to coat the snack mix with the margarine mixture.
4. Microwave the snack mixture for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. (It’s important to stir every 2 minutes or the mixture can clump together).
5. Spread the finished Chex mix out on paper toweling to cool.
6. Sprinkle a little more seasoning salt on because you can’t help yourself and think some more seasoning can’t hurt.
7. Walk by the cooling Chex mix several times always taking a bite or two as you pass by just to make sure it turned out OK.
8. Tell yourself to have some self control, get out an airtight container, and store the Chex mix.